Browsed by
Category: Scientific Meetings

Science Policy Roundup: May 2, 2014 ?>

Science Policy Roundup: May 2, 2014

The world of science policy can be hard to keep up with, especially when a scientist is consumed at the bench. That’s where the Policy Blotter comes in! The Science Policy Roundup features the week’s science policy news. The Policy Blotter has a new location but same great style. Be sure to follow the new site for the latest updates in the science policy world! The U.S. Senate appropriations committee highlighted scientific research in a hearing this week titled “Driving…

Read More Read More

Our legislative prognostications ?>

Our legislative prognostications

In the December edition of ASBMB Today, we discussed how scientific research would be affected by some of the pieces of legislation under consideration by the lame-duck Congress. We also made predictions on the outcomes of each of those pieces of legislation. How did we do? Sequestration Our prediction: We predicted a 70 percent chance Congress would achieve a compromise plan that replaced sequestration, a 20 percent chance Congress would postpone it and a 10 percent chance it would go…

Read More Read More

Congress moves to restrict federal funding for conferences and travel ?>

Congress moves to restrict federal funding for conferences and travel

In response to the recent outrage over the General Services Administration training conference in Las Vegas, members of Congress have proposed legislation that would restrict federal funding for conferences. On April 25, identical amendments were added to different bills in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate that would limit federal spending on private conferences. Each amendment would prohibit federal agencies from funding more than a single conference sponsored or organized by an organization during any fiscal year. This language…

Read More Read More

UPDATED: Registration deadline for postdoc workshop – Jan. 6 ?>

UPDATED: Registration deadline for postdoc workshop – Jan. 6

The Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology has partnered with the National Institute of General Medical Sciences to present the 2012 Workshop for Postdocs Transitioning to Independent Positions. The workshop will be held on March 12-13, 2012, at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Md., and is designed to provide information for postdoctoral researchers making the transition to professional independence. Sessions include speakers from academia and industry who will present information on career planning, grant writing, networking and…

Read More Read More

Abstract submission deadline for the 2012 Experimental Biology Meeting ?>

Abstract submission deadline for the 2012 Experimental Biology Meeting

Today is the final day to submit your abstracts for the 2012 Experimental Biology Meeting held April 21-25 in San Diego, CA.  The EB Meeting is a multidisciplinary, scientific meeting featuring lectures, workshops, oral and poster sessions and on-site career services. Submit your abstract today by 11:59 EST.

AAAS Hosts Annual Science and Technology Policy Forum ?>

AAAS Hosts Annual Science and Technology Policy Forum

The American Association for the Advancement of Sciences held its 36th annual Forum on Science and Technology Policy on May 5 and 6.  Over 400 participants took part in a series of lectures, panel discussions, and informal briefings during the conference, held at the Ronald Reagan building in downtown Washington D.C. Headlining the list of notable speakers was John Holdren, Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy.  In his speech, Holdren emphasized that science and technology…

Read More Read More